Cream-Filled Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating just until combined.
- Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Lightly cut through with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. In a small bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and chilled milk mixture; beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cream-Filled Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Sort By :
Loved the cake! Was not crazy about the filling , the taste was okay but the consistency and the mouth feel bothered! The shortening just did not work for me. I will make it again but substitute cream cheese for the shortening!. The secret to the filling is to beat it the full 10 minutes as stated in directions.
cake is moist and has a good texture and taste. We liked the filling, never have any leftover...
This was really good, because of the reviews and the fact that the filling seemed like too much effort for me I opted to use my homemade cream cheese frosting instead. This cake is very delicate so be sure to use the wax paper as instructed or you'll end up with a pile of cake crumbs. I didn't like this cake when it was chilled in the fridge so I just heat up leftovers in the microwave for a few seconds. This will be going into the recipe box.
I used homemade buttercream filling.
I made this recipe a couple days ago and it was great! I only thing I did not like was the filling. My family and I found it bland and tasteless- it did not have much flavor and it had a strange consistency. Next time I make this, I will make sure to use a different filling. Maybe try a cream cheese type icing. The cake was great though. I left out the pecans too. All in all, this recipe is great but keep it mind the filling is very different.