- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas and buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. (Mixture will be very thick.) Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and cooled milk mixture until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Fill with filling; replace tops. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream-Filled Banana Cupcakes
"This recipe is absolutely wonderful. I've made it twice now, and they disappear like no other cupcake I've ever made. Moist. Easy to make. I core mine and put the filling inside that little space and top with frosting made with butter and crisco combination. Absolutely delicious. Can't make this very often......"
"I would also like to add a cream cheese icing on top of the cream filling! Just feel cream cheese icing goes with banana cake! Gail Borczyk, Field Editor"
"Wow this Recipe is AWESOME !!!"
"Yummo! A sure hit with everyone!"
"These cupcakes were excellent! That first bite was like heaven. The cake was moist and the cream filling was perfect! Will definitely make for company."
"These cupcakes are tasty. They are more of a muffin texture and next time I might try a creamier filling less like icing."
"These cupcakes are easy to make. They are delicious. I will be making these alot."
"I made this recipe for a friend who loves bananas. It was a huge success with him and others. Easy to make. Good cold, better room temperature."
"The cake was very moist, the only thing I would change is the filling, it is a bit too sweet for my taste. I'm thinking maybe a pudding or whipped cream filling."
"It was the cream filling that really made these so good. I could have eaten it with a spoon, straight from the bowl!"