- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar or about 60 crushed sugar cubes
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; press a hazelnut into each and reshape balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla until smooth; dip tops of cookies in glaze. Sprinkle with sugar. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Cream Filberts in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p13
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream Filberts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review