Cream Cheese Spritz
A hint of orange and cinnamon highlights these Christmastime classics. I like to add colorful sprinkles before baking them. The recipe is from a booklet that came with a cookie press in the 1950s...and I still have the press!
54 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Green food coloring, decorator candies and colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar until
- light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour,
- salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in orange peel. Add food coloring if desired.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough
- 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate if desired. Bake
- at 350° for 9-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 75 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium,