A hint of orange and cinnamon highlights these Christmastime classics. I like to add colorful sprinkles before baking them. The recipe is from a booklet that came with a cookie press in the 1950s...and I still have the press!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Green food coloring, decorator candies and colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in orange peel. Add food coloring if desired.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate if desired. Bake at 350° for 9-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Spritz in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Spritz
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review