The shortbread cookie crust and lime filling are delicious changes from the typical lemon pie. You can substitute graham cracker crumbs for the cookie crumbs.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups shortbread cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- LIME FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- Green liquid food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For lime filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount for hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter, lime peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in lime juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- For cream cheese filling, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lime juice in a small bowl until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly in crust; top with lime filling. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Lime Pie in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p186