- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat the cream and milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Ice Cream
Sort By :
"I'm from New Orleans and my mother used to make this for us all the time and all of us loved it. I believed she used creole cream cheese but it's even hard to find creole cream cheese in New Orleans anymore. Philadelphia cream cheese is a good substitute."
"I made this ice cream, spooned it into a graham cracker crust and then topped it with strawberry ice cream topping. It was great! I also made ice cream sandwiches using the leftover graham crackers and ice cream. Perfect summer desert!"
"This was my first attempt at home made ice cream. Excellent recipe and easy to follow. It didn't last long my family loved it."