- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Assorted sprinkles or candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, 1-2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. If desired, add food coloring. Decorate cookies with frosting and sprinkles. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Cutouts
Sort By :
"these are crazy good. I love them so much."
"I just created a screen name to leave feedback for this recipe, because an important detail is missing here! I am making these cookies for my kindergartener's class holiday party (they are decorating cookies in class), and the cookies taste great, look beautiful, and are easy to work with. I give all of that five stars. HOWEVER, the recipe doesn't specify the size of the cookie cutters used to obtain 84 cookies. I am using 4" Wilton cookie cutters, and I will barely get 32 cookies from this recipe, with virtually no scrap dough left over. I realize that my cutters are about twice as large as "standard" ones, but I was confident that would get at least the 48 cookies I need out of this recipe, given the yield size stated. If more information had been given, I would have doubled the recipe when I made it. The yield on this recipe is not as stated."
"Sorry.........I forgot to give it my 5 stars!"
"This is simply THE BEST sugar cookies I have ever made and tasted. With or without frosting, no other recipe I have ever tried comes close. The flavor, the texture, and the aroma while baking is out of this world."
"first time i made them, everyone loved them.. not a single one left.. since then i've made them a lot more and people just gobble them up."