Since these coffee cakes freeze well, they make a welcome "instant" breakfast during all the Christmas morning craziness. Friends and family love receiving them, too, wrapped up with a holiday bow.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, sugar and salt; cool to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sour cream mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; spread with filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, cut two-thirds of the way through dough at 1-in. intervals. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cakes. Yield: 4 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Coffee Cakes in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p18
Reviews for Cream Cheese Coffee Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review