Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
These impressive loaves really sparkle on the buffet. You can't just eat one slice of this treat with its rich filling peeking out of sweet yeast bread. Once you drizzled on the glaze and savor that first piece, you'll know the extra work is worth it. -Mary Anne McWhirter, Pearland, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:20-24 servings
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine sour cream, sugar, butter and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5-10 minutes or until well blended. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sour cream mixture and eggs. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in flour to form a soft dough (dough will be very soft). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide into fourths. Roll each piece into a 12x8-in. rectangle. In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients until well blended. Spread over each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut six X's on top of loaves. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over warm loaves. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 264 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC