- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, cloves and nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place carrots in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. In a small bowl, whisk the pureed carrots, egg and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups one-third full. In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the center of each muffin. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Carrot Muffins
"this is tooo dry... only one egg... I through it away... discusting...!!"
"We loved these! We also got a layer rather than a center, but they are tasty anyway. Next time, I think I'm going to lightly swirl the filling in rather than just drop it. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I have made other muffins w/ cream cheese in the middle & in order to get a "center" of cream cheese instead of a layer, the cream cheese needs to be cold and solid. If the batter is sweet enough, you can just take a melon baller and drop the cold, solid cheese into the middle, without having to soften it and add sugar/egg like this recipe calls for. It will stay in that shape and give you better results."
"I'm wondering if I did something wrong or my ingredients were wonky? Everyone seems to have loved this, but my husband and I found them very heavy. The carrot batter tasted inCREDible, so I figured I'd love them.I found the filled so strange though--it almost seems like some ingredients are missing. If TOH triple tests, or whatever, how does their filling look so perfect? It should have been a filling layer like the rest of us.Part of me wants to make these again to give them another chance cuz I really want them to be amazing, and a part of me says that would be a waste of money to try again. The filling layer was liquid-like, but I had expected it to be thick like icing."
"Tender, moist and delicious! Better cold, IMO."
"my Family loves this recipe and I do not even add the cram cheese. I add raisins insetd."
"These were awesome! As many other readers have mentioned I too had problems with the filling looking more like a layer. I think the next time I will fill a piping bag and squeeze the filling into the center of the batter."
"Cream Cheese Carrot MuffinsI made these using shredded Carrots, with Crushed Pinapple to make 2 cups, so GOOD I also added Raisins!"
"I have same question about carb count, however, I do not use insulin pump. Thank you."