- 14 large ears sweet corn in husks
- 5 pounds medium red or white potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 medium heads cabbage
- 16 fresh Polish sausage links
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Peel and clean corn, saving and washing enough husks to cover the bottom of a 5-gallon metal cream can or stockpot. Layer with corn, half of the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, then half of the sausages. Repeat layers with the rest of the vegetables and sausages. Pour the water over and add salt and pepper if desired. Cover and bring to a boil on grate over a fire. Let steam for about 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Cream Can Dinner
Sort By :
We use this recipe on our family reunion weekend. Layer everything in the turkey fryer and let it cook. We throw in some plain hot dogs for the fussy eaters about half way through the cooking time. It's perfect for a dinner that requires little prep or clean up. I've given the recipe out several times.