My husband and I like to treat friends to this cowboy-style dinner. If you don't have a cream can, use a Dutch oven or large kettle on a gas grill.—Nancy McDonald, Burns, Wyoming
- 14 large ears sweet corn in husks
- 5 pounds medium red or white potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 medium heads cabbage
- 16 fresh Polish sausage links
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Peel and clean corn, saving and washing enough husks to cover the bottom of a 5-gallon metal cream can or stockpot. Layer with corn, half of the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, then half of the sausages. Repeat layers with the rest of the vegetables and sausages. Pour the water over and add salt and pepper if desired. Cover and bring to a boil on grate over a fire. Let steam for about 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Cream Can Dinner in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p62
Reviews for Cream Can Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review