Cream and Wild Rice Soup
I used to make this soup on the evening when we would pick out our Christmas tree. But my husband enjoys it so much, I now make it throughout the year.
Tammy Bailey, Hastings, Minnesota
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- Pinch white pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, mace and white pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the
- broth, cream, wine and cooked rice. Bring to a boil, stirring
- constantly. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 433 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.