Crawfish Corn Bread Recipe
Moist and crusty, with tasty flecks of crawfish tail meat and zippy peppers, this is a tempting, distinctive corn bread. I like to serve it warm alongside soups and stews for a memorable lunch or supper. -Eloise Waler, Rayville, Louisiana
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup crawfish tail meat, cooked
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in jalapenos; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and remaining oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Stir in the corn, cheese, green onions, crawfish and reserved jalapeno mixture. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 232 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC