Crawfish Beignets with Cajun Dipping Sauce Recipe
Get a taste of the deep South with these slightly spicy beignets. You won't be able to eat just one! —Donna Lanclos, Lafayette, Louisiana
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound chopped cooked crawfish tail meat or shrimp
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup bread flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, crawfish, onions, butter, salt and cayenne. Stir in flour until blended.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish if desired and pepper sauce. Serve with beignets. Yield: about 2 dozen (3/4 cup sauce).
1 beignet with 1-1/2 teaspoons sauce equals 97 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC