Cranberry Wild Rice
Nuts are a wonderful source of protein and nutrition so I look for ways to add them to all of my dishes. The addition of cranberries in this recipe makes it perfect for fall.—Dawn Bryant, Thedford, Nebraska
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, cranberries and thyme in oil
- until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain rice
- if needed; stir in onion mixture and pine nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 238 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.