Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf Recipe
This wonderful, moist side dish is perfect for holidays or anytime a meal requires a special touch. Dried cranberries, currants and almonds add color and texture. The ladies I work with all enjoy making this dish. -Pat Gardetta, Osage Beach, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Rinse and drain rice; place in a saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in barley, cranberries, currants and butter. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt/ baking dish.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add almonds and fluff with a fork. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 173 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 365 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC