Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf
This wonderful, moist side dish is perfect for holidays or anytime a meal requires a special touch. Dried cranberries, currants and almonds add color and texture. The ladies I work with all enjoy making this dish.
-Pat Gardetta, Osage Beach, Missouri
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds, toasted
- Rinse and drain rice; place in a saucepan. Add broth and bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in barley, cranberries, currants and
- butter. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt/ baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed
- and rice is tender. Add almonds and fluff with a fork. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 173 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 365 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.