This wonderful, moist side dish is perfect for holidays or anytime a meal requires a special touch. Dried cranberries, currants and almonds add color and texture. The ladies I work with all enjoy making this dish. -Pat Gardetta, Osage Beach, Missouri
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Rinse and drain rice; place in a saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in barley, cranberries, currants and butter. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt/ baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add almonds and fluff with a fork. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p25
Reviews for Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review