- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons water or flour if needed. Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add cranberries.
- Preheat oven to 400°. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide and shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through center of each, stretching and shaping to form an even ring with a 1-1/2-in. hole. Place on a floured surface. Cover with kitchen towels; let rest 10 minutes. Flatten bagels slightly.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Place bagels 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Whisk egg white and water; brush over bagels. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Whole Wheat Bagels in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Cranberry Whole Wheat Bagels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review