Looking for a great bread to start your day? My multi-grain is fabulous toasted. It is also good for sandwiches or served warm with dinner.—Tish Stevenson, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries or cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose flour, oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in the cranberries, walnuts and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. To serve, cut into thick slices and toast. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Cranberry-Walnut Toasting Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p49
Reviews for Cranberry-Walnut Toasting Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review