Cranberry Walnut Tart Recipe
Meet the Cook: People tell me that they like the combination of a tart cranberry taste and the crunchy walnut texture in this dessert. I grew up in a rural community - so my sisters and I did a lot of cooking early! My husband and I have two married sons (plus 2-1/2 grandkids!), and I've collected strawberries for 21 years. -Beverly Mix, Missoula, Montana
- TART SHELL:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon water, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Add egg and stir lightly with fork just until mixture forms a ball, adding the water if necessary. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2. Grease a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Press chilled pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan. Line pastry shell with foil; fill with pie weights, raw rice or beans to prevent shrinkage. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Remove weights and bake another 5 minutes. Cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar, syrup, eggs, butter and peel in a large bowl; set aside. Place walnuts and cranberries in bottom of tart; pour sugar mixture into pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden, edge of filling is firm and center is almost set. Cool on wire rack. Chill until serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 266 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC