Cranberry-Walnut Sweet Potatoes
For me, the best part of a holiday dinner is the sweet potatoes! You can make the sauce for these up to a day ahead—just omit the walnuts until you're ready to serve. —Mary Wilhelm, Sparta, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times
- with a fork. Bake 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in cranberries, syrup,
- cranberry juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring
- occasionally. Stir in walnuts and mustard; heat through.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half;