Cranberry-Walnut Sweet Potatoes Recipe
For me, the best part of a holiday dinner is the sweet potatoes! You can make the sauce for these up to a day ahead—just omit the walnuts until you're ready to serve. —Mary Wilhelm, Sparta, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:8 servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in cranberries, syrup, cranberry juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Stir in walnuts and mustard; heat through.
- 3. When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Top with cranberry mixture; sprinkle with chives. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC