Tired of plain ol' cakes? Give this recipe a shot! Cranberry-lovers will definitely like it because the cake is tart, but the warm butter sauce creates the ideal balance of sweet and sour. Pour the sauce over the cake just before serving.—Katie Kahre, Duluth, Minnesota
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in water. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries and walnuts (batter will be thick).
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Serve cake with warm sauce. Yield: 15 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Cranberry-Walnut Cake with Butter Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p1-17
Reviews for Cranberry-Walnut Cake with Butter Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review