"When I'm rushed for a dessert for a Christmas potluck, I grab the recipe for this old-fashioned cake," writes Ruth Marie Lyons of Boulder, Colorado. A cake mix gets special treatment from walnuts, pineapple and cranberries.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add water to juice to measure 1-1/4 cups; set aside.
- Pour butter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cranberries and walnuts. Top with pineapple.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and reserved pineapple juice. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a large serving platter (top will have an uneven appearance). Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Upside-Down Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p14
Reviews for Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review