Cranberry-Topped Lemon Tarts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium lemon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions; press each onto the bottom and up the sides of eight 4-in. tart pans.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until berries have popped, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 5. Transfer to a small bowl; cool. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Transfer berry topping to another bowl; refrigerate until serving.
- 6. Spoon filling into tart shells. Chill, uncovered, until set. For garnish, in a small saucepan, bring lemon slices, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until lemon is tender. Cut slices in half; chill.
- 7. Just before serving, spoon cranberry topping over tarts. Garnish with lemon slices. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 786 calories, 34 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 215 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 117 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.