Cranberry-Topped Cake Recipe
For me, part of the joy of Christmas is sharing tempting treats such as this special cake. I love trying new recipes, but I also rely on classics like this one.
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Grease two 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle 2 cups cranberries in each dish; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover; cool for 1 hour.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, water, oil, peel and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the egg mixture, beating until blended.
- 3. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter over cranberries.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back with lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with some frosting. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 538 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC