- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, water, oil, peel and vanilla
- until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and
- salt. Gradually add to the egg mixture, beating until blended.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of
- tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites
- into batter. Fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter over
- Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back with
- lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire
- racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add
- the sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Place one cake
- on a serving plate; spread with some frosting. Top with remaining
- cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Cover and store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 538 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.