- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Grease two 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle 2 cups cranberries in each dish; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover; cool for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, water, oil, peel and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the egg mixture, beating until blended.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter over cranberries.
- Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back with lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with some frosting. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Topped Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p42
Reviews for Cranberry-Topped Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review