Norma Sockrider has a fruity alternative to the abundance of chocolate the holidays bring. By adding a bit of citrus flavor to her golden-brown goody, the Columbus, Nebraska baker makes this tart so irresistible that it's likely to bring a smile to old Scrooge himself.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-2/3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons biscuit/baking mix
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine biscuit mix, sugar and water. With lightly floured
- hands, press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of an
- ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and biscuit mix. Add the cranberries,
- orange juice and butter. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a
- boil. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened and bubbly. Pour
- over crust. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is
- golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 260 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium,