Cranberry Swirl Loaf Recipe
My mother made this bread with dates, but I use cranberries instead. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until cranberries are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and, if desired, walnuts. Cool.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20x10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan, arranging in a slight zigzag fashion to fit.
- 5. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in 1 tablespoon butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover with a towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice (calculated without icing) equals 210 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC