- remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar and
- water. Cook over medium heat until cranberries are soft, about 15
- minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and, if
- desired, walnuts. Cool.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a
- 20x10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll
- up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan, arranging in a slight zigzag
- fashion to fit.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in 1
- tablespoon butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter; brush over
- dough. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover with a towel; let rise in
- a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan
- to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Confectioners' Sugar Icing (optional): Mix 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Drizzle over cooled bread.
Cranberry-Caramel Icing (optional): Combine 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice and a cinnamon stick in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Reduce heat; remove cinnamon stick. Whisk in 1 cup Kraft caramel bits, 1/2 cup at a time, until melted. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream; cool. Drizzle over cooled bread.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated without icing) equals 210 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.