- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until cranberries are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and, if desired, walnuts. Cool.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20x10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan, arranging in a slight zigzag fashion to fit.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in 1 tablespoon butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover with a towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Cranberry Swirl Loaf
Sort By :
"I was just browsing through some old magazines tonight and came across this one. This recipe is fantastic. The bread is so tender and the filling is a little tangy, perfect with the crumb topping."
"This loaf is amazing. I devoted a whole blog post to it so you guys can see the steps in pictures http://www.healthylivingrevelations.com/2014/03/08/cranberry-swirl-loaf-recipe/"
"Made this cake for the first time tonight, it's AMAZING!!! Takes a long time to make, but well worth the time. I'm planning on making this bread as Christmas gifts next year. Definitely a keeper!"
"I haven't made this yet, because I'm not sure which way I should zigzag the dough in the pan. can someone please help me. I have the cranberries ready to go!! It sounds like a 5 star."
"I'm new to yeast baking and although there are a lot of steps, I was able to easily follow this recipe and the results were excellent! I plan to serve this yummy coffeecake for the holidays as the red filling from the cranberries makes it very festive looking and it tastes delicious. I sliced and froze in ziploc bags. To serve I thawed at room temperature and reheated at very low setting on microwave for 10 seconds or so and it has that just baked flavor."