Cranberry-Swirl Cornmeal Loaves Recipe
When my cranberry and cornmeal cookie won a contest at our state fair, I decided to use those ingredients in a yeast bread. My family prefers it to raisin bread. Mary Volcko, Camillus, New York
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon milk, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the shortening, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in cornmeal and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, place cranberries and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute; set aside. In another bowl, combine the sugars, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Lightly brush dough with water; sprinkle sugar mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cranberries.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush with milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Cranberry-Swirl Cornmeal Loaves in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p49
Reviews for Cranberry-Swirl Cornmeal Loaves(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review