Cranberries are an important crop in New England. This recipe produces a beautiful and delicious cake.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Sprinkle the walnuts into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spread half of the batter over nuts; top with half of the cranberry sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake in Country Extra March 2001, p51
Reviews for Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2014
"This is my favorite take to anything cake."
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2012
"Delicious and very easy! An excellent way to use up leftover cranberry sauce!"
Reviewed May. 12, 2011
"I added two tablespoons of poppy seeds to the batter. It was really delicious!! Easy too."