Cranberry Sweet Rolls Recipe
Christmas morning will be sweeter than ever when you serve these festive rolls topped with a rich and creamy frosting. They rise nice and high and hold their shape. Plus, the tart cranberry filling is a nice change of pace from cinnamon rolls.—Mrs. Otto (Germaine) Stank, Pound, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 3/4 cup sugar and water to a boil. Add cranberries; return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until cranberries begin to pop, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes longer or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in orange peel; cover and chill.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the next six ingredients, the remaining sugar and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Spread cranberry filling over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly roll style, starting at a long side.
- 4. Cut into 15 slices; place, cut side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese frosting ingredients until smooth; spread the frosting over the warm rolls. Yield: 15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 356 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC