Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake
This colorful casserole is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, with its combination of sweet potatoes, cranberries and apples. I find it convenient to cook the sweet potatoes in the morning and assemble the dish, then bake it later.
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-45 minutes or just
- until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes and cut into
- 1/2-in. slices; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Add
- apples; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in the cranberries,
- cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes
- and half of the apple mixture; repeat layers. Cover and bake at
- 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 175 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.