This recipe has been in my family since 1943, so these muffins have been enjoyed during the holidays for many years. The “surprise” is a dollop of cranberry sauce in the center. We like to eat them warm, fresh from the oven.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups one-fourth full. Drop a rounded tablespoonful of cranberry sauce into each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until muffin tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Surprise Muffins in Country December/January 2007, p49
Reviews for Cranberry Surprise Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2014
"The muffin was so bland. At a minimum, this recipe needs more butter and sugar."