- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 cup crushed corn bread stuffing or crumbled corn bread
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and cranberries in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in the garlic, croutons, corn bread stuffing and enough broth to moisten; set aside.
- Place chicken with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage; sprinkle over inside and outside of chicken. Loosely stuff with cranberry mixture. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cranberry-Stuffed Chicken
Sort By :
"I made this for the first time last night and hubby and I enjoyed it very much. This will certainly be put in to our menu rotation, since we both love stuffing."
"I have made the stuffing twice and it is awesome. Yummy!!!"
"I've been making this recipe since I first read it in a TOH mag years ago. But yesterday I made it for Thanksgiving and was finally moved to write a review. First of all, by the time I finished getting all the food on the table and sat down to eat, most of the stuffing was already gone. I got a spoonful--darn it! Everyone raved, and I was asked for the recipe several times. This is a simple recipe but absolutely wonderful. The cranberries make it a little extra special, and a nice touch for the holidays."
"I will never make my stuffing any other way. My husband and I love it."
"I first used this stuffing for my Thanksgiving turkey about 5 years ago - and every year since. Great!"