For the holidays or any Sunday dinner, I suggest this delightful main dish. My great-grandma used to roast this chicken for our family, and now I do the same for our nine grandchildren. Everyone relishes the moist meat and the tempting stuffing.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 cup crushed corn bread stuffing or crumbled corn bread
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and cranberries in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in the garlic, croutons, corn bread stuffing and enough broth to moisten; set aside.
- Place chicken with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage; sprinkle over inside and outside of chicken. Loosely stuff with cranberry mixture. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Stuffed Chicken in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cranberry-Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review