Cranberry-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin Recipe
Fresh cranberries and cranberry juice lend a satisfying sweet-tart taste to beef tenderloin. Serving plated dishes to guests makes for a pretty presentation.Carolyn Cope, Allston, Maryland
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CRANBERRY WINE SAUCE:
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, wine, shallots and butter. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom; open roast and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; spread cranberry mixture over meat. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie tenderloin at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, saute shallots in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add the juice, wine, broth and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining butter. Serve with beef. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Cranberry-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p50
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cranberry-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Cranberry Sauce Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Dinner Recipes >