Cranberry-Stuffed Acorn Squash
I combine two of fall's best foods in this recipe. The pretty, fresh-tasting filling makes this an extra-special side dish.Jim Ulberg, Elk Rapids, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 medium acorn squash
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium orange, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Pinch salt
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a
- depth of 1/2 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cranberries, apple, orange, brown sugar, walnuts,
- butter and orange peel. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side
- up. Sprinkle with salt. Stuff with cranberry mixture. Bake 25
- minutes longer or until squash is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 256 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.