The holidays wouldn't be complete without a plateful of homemade cookies to give family and friends. Try these for gifts.—American Dairy Assoc, Stacy Duffy, Chicago, Illinois
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla and salt until
- light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Stir in cranberries and, if
- desired, ginger. Divide the dough in half; form each half into a
- 6-in. x 3-in. x 1-in. block. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- for 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- To bake, cut the dough into 1/4-in.-thick slices; place on ungreased
- parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or
- until edges are golden. Yield: 4 dozen.
Editor's Note: Crystallized ginger is available in the spice section or the Oriental food section in grocery stores.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 136 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.