Cranberry Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, coconut and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Spread remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugars and cornstarch. Stir in cranberries and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts.
- 3. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with white chocolate. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 205 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Shortbread Bars
"If I was going to make these again, I would not include the nuts. Otherwise, these were easy and tasty!"
"excellent bar in presentation as well as taste! I did make a few adjustments- instead of 1 cup of walnuts, I used 1/2 cup and added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon to the sugar-applesauce mixture to cook on the stovetop. I also reduced the oven temp. to 400 degrees. These are delicious!"
"Just the right amount of sweet / tart. These were so good, I skipped the walnuts for taste preference, but they weren't really needed."