Cranberry Shortbread Bars Recipe
Look at the lovely confection our Test Kitchen came up with when it combined cranberries, coconut and white chocolate! Colorful and tasty, these bars and a glass of milk make the perfect treat after a dusty afternoon of raking leaves. TIP: Wrapped in colored cellophane and ribbons, Cranberry Shortbread Bars are pretty enough to double as quick holiday gifts, don’t you think?
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, coconut and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Spread remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugars and cornstarch. Stir in cranberries and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts.
- 3. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake longer 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with white chocolate. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 205 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC