Cranberry Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, coconut and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Spread remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugars and cornstarch. Stir in cranberries and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts.
- Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with white chocolate. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cranberry Shortbread Bars
Sort By :
If I was going to make these again, I would not include the nuts. Otherwise, these were easy and tasty!
The crust burned on these bars, and the filling baked quicker than the amount of time listed on the recipe and got overdone around the edges. I used a metal cake pan. Perhaps using a glass casserole dish would prevent burning. Any suggestions?
excellent bar in presentation as well as taste! I did make a few adjustments- instead of 1 cup of walnuts, I used 1/2 cup and added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon to the sugar-applesauce mixture to cook on the stovetop. I also reduced the oven temp. to 400 degrees. These are delicious!
Just the right amount of sweet / tart. These were so good, I skipped the walnuts for taste preference, but they weren't really needed.