Meet the Cook: When mealtime rolls around, my husband and our two teenagers are never sure what's in store - lots of my cooking is "trial and error", and I love trying out new things. Luckily, my family doesn't mind being my guinea pigs!
This recipe, however, actually originated with one of the boys. It was published in his Sunday school paper about 10 years ago. First-time tasters comment on
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2-3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- In a saucepan, combine cranberries and 2-1/2 cups of water. Bring to
- a boil; cook gently until all the cranberries have popped, about 10
- minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Press mixture through a
- sieve or food mill, reserving juice and discarding skins and seeds.
- In another saucepan, combine cranberry juice and sugar; cook over
- medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and set
- Combine gelatin and remaining 1/4 cup water; stir until softened.
- Combine cranberry mixture, orange juice and gelatin; mix well. Pour
- into a 2-qt. container; freeze 4-5 hours or until mixture is slushy.
- Remove from freezer; beat with electric mixer until sherbet is a
- bright pink color. Freeze until firm. Yield: about 6 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 149 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.