"CRANBERRIES seem to be traditional with everyone's Thanksgiving meal in one form or another. This salad is our favorite way to serve them, either as an attractive mold or for individual salads. The nuts and other fruit give it a refreshing crunch."
Recommended: Salad Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, finely chopped
- 2 large unpeeled apples, finely chopped
- 1 unpeeled orange, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Mayonnaise, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; immediately stir in gelatin until dissolved. Chill until mixture is the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Fold in the cranberries, apples, orange and pecans. Spoon into greased individual salad molds, a 6-1/2-cup ring mold or an 11-in. x 7-in. dish. Chill until firm. If desired, serve on lettuce leaves and top with a dollop of mayonnaise. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Salad in Reminisce November/December 1993, p47