Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Rice provides so many options to a creative cookthe stir-in ideas are endless. In this recipe, dried cranberries star. Their sweet-tart flavor accents my rice combination and gives a festive feel to everyday meals.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the wild rice. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the brown rice; cover and
- simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions and brown sugar
- in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the
- cranberries, orange peel and rice; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 400 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.