Rice provides so many options to a creative cook—the stir-in ideas are endless. In this recipe, dried cranberries star. Their sweet-tart flavor accents my rice combination and gives a festive feel to everyday meals.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the brown rice; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions and brown sugar in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the cranberries, orange peel and rice; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions in Country Woman May/June 2002, p29
Reviews for Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review