Cranberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Toni Fohey of Waukesha, Wisconsin writes, “With a few alterations over the years, this has become one of my families' favorites. I get requests for the recipe every time I make it for guests.”
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, pour butter into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar. Add cranberries and rhubarb.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg, sugar, oil and remaining brown sugar. Stir in oat mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts. Spoon over fruit.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 227 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Reviews for Cranberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC