- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, pour butter into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar. Add cranberries and rhubarb.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, sugar, oil and remaining brown sugar. Stir in oat mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts. Spoon over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p32
Reviews for Cranberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review