Cranberry Pork Skillet Recipe
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1. In a bowl, toss lime juice with apples; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and keep warm. Saute jalapenos, onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add the cranberries, water chestnuts, apple juice, brown sugar, cumin, lime peel, salt, pepper and apples. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Return pork to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and cook until fruit is tender and meat juices run clear. Garnish with green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 303 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.