Cranberry Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Both kids and grown-ups like this gorgeous dessert. It'll keep a few days and is actually better the second day, so you can make it a day ahead.—Sherry Conley, Noel Hants County, Nova Scotia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake 50 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; spread onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with pineapple slices. Place a whole cranberry in the center of each pineapple; sprinkle remaining cranberries around pineapple.
- 2. For cake, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries; spoon over pineapple.
- 3. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm; if desired, top with whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece (calculated without whipped cream) equals 402 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC