Cranberry Pecan Bars Recipe
From her kitchen in Covina, California, Sandy Bunte writes, “I have been making these bars for almost 40 years. I got the recipe from my mother who is 90 years old! They are great with vanilla ice cream (low fat, of course)”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup honey
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and brown sugar. Stir in butter until blended. Set aside 2/3 cup. Pat remaining mixture onto the bottom of a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, 7 tablespoons cranberry juice, raisins, honey, sugar substitute, cinnamon and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until berries pop.
- 3. Combine the cornstarch and remaining cranberry juice until smooth; stir into berry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Pour filling over crust. Sprinkle with pecans and reserved oat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 bar equals 199 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC